Monday, April 02, 2007

No Impact Man, toothpaste, and baking soda

Today is the second time this week that my attention is drawn to NoImpactMan (via TH), a blog of a Manhattan family going for one year without typical carbon producing luxuries of contemporary living. They say that it is an experiment, but naturally enough with the husband wife team being writers there will be a book and lots of publicity from their project.

I resolved to keep an eye on their adventure. One of the first posts that I read was about switching from toothpaste to baking soda. Hmm? Turning away from commercial products in favor of less extraordinary substances like baking soda, vinegar, and spirits for household chores I have come across before but it never registered as something that I would integrate into my lifestyle (I lie, I already use spirits for dealing with windows, mirrors, and disinfecting surfaces). So I went on to read my tube of paste, which BTW is already vegan (no animal product, no animal testing).

Ingredients: Sorbitol, Water, Hydrated Silica, Glycerin, PEG-8, Cellulose Gum, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Flavour, Carum Petroselinium Seed Oil, Tatanium Dioxide, Sodium Saccharin, Methylparaben, Disodium EDTA.

Wow! It sounds like a shelf in the chemistry lab.

Guess who just switched to baking soda.

[Revision 20070529: BTW, here is a link to the pictured McKenzie bi-carb soda product for usage ideas]

[Revision 20071206: Well 8 months down the track and I can say that this idea is working out just fine for me. I would recommend it to a friend. Simply poor about half a teaspoon of powder into the palm of your hand, dip the bristles into it so they fill up and enjoy a good clean tooth brushing. ]

No comments: