Sunday, October 12, 2008

Acer One, Asus Eeepc and Intrepid Ibex beta



WARNING: This blog entry chronicles disappointments. I strongly recommend that the casual user does not follow any of the instructions here or he too will suffer the same result.

Testing, or otherwise using, Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex 8.10 and the Acer One and Asus Eeepc hardware. Happy with result.

[revision Mon 27 Oct 2008 09:22:37 EST : It it is now about 2 days before full release of Intrepid. Situation? Eee has no wifi, so I had to revert to the long blue cable, otherwise 3g mobile broadband via usb dongle - I don't like the ndiswrapper solution because to spins up my cpu to 100 percent more often then I tolerate. One, also lost wifi a few days ago; no card reader so have to fall back onto DSC usb cable from camera, and no mic so no skype calls. I foresee that Intrepid will be released with those items still having issues until the community offered workarounds (EeePC, AspireOne)or otherwise eventual development irons out said problems (regardless of milestones, dealing with bugs is a continous process). There is the option of falling back onto Gusty which worked well but needs nm 0.7 for 3g to work via a seperate repository. When Intrepid is fully release I intednd to do a fresh install an see what works out of the box and go from there.]

[revision Mon 03 Nov 2008 23:32:21 EST : Thanks for the comment Dave, that was a good tip! The AAO is now has WIFI again, despite other common unresolved issues remaining persistent. After a fresh instal of 8.10 and updates, I followed wlan instructions via https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne110L
  1. open Hardware Drivers window
    menu > System > Administration > Hardware Drivers
  2. deactivate the proprietary driver Atheros wireless card
  3. open terminal window
    menu > Accessories > Terminal
  4. copy and paste this command
    sudo aptitude install linux-backports-modules-intrepid
  5. reboot
]

[Revision 20081124 : eeepc wifi still not working; for progress and clues follow this thread, https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/+source/linux/+bug/259157 ]


[Revision 20081126 : Got wifi working on my eeepc 701.{No. I spoke too soon. Wifi is temperamental; sometimes works well, other times not so well, despite reboots and no apparent change in software or location.}

None of the standard Fix instructions helped (the ndis solution used 100% of my cpu on and off, while the main solution connected but did not move data after the first 2 seconds). Today, one thing led to another and I got wifi working. This is what I did.
  1. sudo apt-get install build-essential
  2. download latest madwifi driver source code from http://snapshots.madwifi-project.org/madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6/, I used madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r3875-20081105.tar.gz (notes)
  3. extract it to folder,
    open terminal,
    go to extracted folder,
    sudo make,
    sudo make install
  4. sudo gedit /etc/modules
    add ath_pci if it is not already there, this will load the module that you just installed during boot
    sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    remove 'blacklist ath_pci' if it is there from previous instructions
    add blacklist ath5k
  5. Menu > System > Administration > Hardware Drivers
    deactivate Support for 5xxx series of Atheros 802.11 wireless lan cards
    deactivate Support for Atheros 802.11 wireless lan cards
  6. reboot
For now this seems to be working for me.


If it helps you then that's fantastic. Good luck.

Also found similar instructions here
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6240366

]

[Revision 20081128 : The eeepc is now back on Ubuntu 8.04, hoping to get wifi to work properly again. Followed standard Fix instructions, plus nm .7 to get 3g connectivity also. I have no reason to believe that ath5k will work on my eeepc in the foreseeable future.]

[Revision 20081129 : under 8.04, madwifi worked and failed intermittently, and ndis works at first but later in the day has the same result as under 8.10 with the cpu use getting close to 100% too often. I went back to 8.10, and with a fresh install applied the standard steps of installing backports and blacklisting; wifi is active but fails to connect to my access point. The sum of all the hours that I had put into ubuntu wifi over the number of occasions over the years is absurd, and if multiplied by all the users out there that are affected would probably register at the WTO as having an economic impact, and all because of a relatively tiny module of software that is neglected. Again I fall back on the blue network cable and 3g (even the new stuff works better than atheros wifi). Now where did I put my white flag of surrender?]

[Revision 20090114 : wifi working again. the saga continues perhaps. yesterday i upgraded the bios in my wifi router, with an arbitrary version number increment. today i got around to testing for this, and woot, seems to be working. the laptop wifi was working with an AP in a library so i suspect that it was my buggy router all along that had me tied to its blue tether of terror. Fixed.]

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

and?

Bob said...

good question - see my revision note

Dave said...

Install kernel backports and your wireless will work again. I had to install it on both my AAO and my Acer Aspire 5315-2153 to get wireless working in Intrepid again.

Bob said...

Thanks Dave! It worked!