Kogan Atlas x14fhd laptop

About a week and a half ago, I snagged this great deal! Although this was after a one month wait/cancel order of a chromebook that they sold out of.

Still to swap out the HDD for my SSD, and get back to work.

Ubuntu works fine after install but with quirks: sometimes boot freezes, pressing enter on boot menu helps; wifi does not connect to the home router via N2.4GHz but does connect at work via N5Ghz (go figure) (... so I use a spare USB NIC at home, or bluetooth tether to my phone). (Later it turned out to be to do with my wifi router setting being set to N only, whereas the better setting was a/b/g/n, live and learn.) (There is an issue with Ubuntu  Intel AC 3160 NIC ; the simplest solution is to disable Bluetooth and reboot. Why cant wifi and bluetooth just get along??) [20150823 this problem seems to have gone away, as I'm using bluetooth and wifi at the same time now]

I was procrastinating addressing the issue of my aging netbook for over a year now, being petrified by/of Secure Boot. That fear had just gone away, finding that Secure Boot is just a BIOS setting, and everything else works as it always had, and there is no problem booting into Ubuntu (Ubuntu Linux is where all of my work related software comes from, so it is essential that I have a work station with it -- it is a case of formatting a laptop purchased with Windows to convert it into a laptop with Linux which in the end looks kind of like a Mac).

Day 1, very happy with it!

 Specifications:
  • Speakers HD Audio
  • Webcam 0.3MP
  • Bluetooth 4.0 LE Ethernet Yes - 10/100 Mbps USB 1 x USB 3.0
  • 2 x USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Intel 802.11 b/g/n/ac
  • Dimensions 34.0 x 24.0 x 2.3cm Weight 2.0kg
  • Native Aspect Ratio 16:9 Resolution 1920 x 1080 Size 14.0" Type FHD
  • Line In/Microphone Yes
  • HDMI 1 x HDMI with HDCP Headphone 3.5mm VGA Yes
  • Architecture 64-bit Battery Removable 4 cell Smart Lithium-Ion battery pack, 32WH CPU Intel Pentium N3540 processor CPU Speed 2.16GHz GPU Intel HD Graphics OS Windows OS Version 8.1 RAM 4GB Dual channel DDR3L 1333Mhz
  • Battery Life 9.5 Hrs
  • Card Slots 9-In-1: Supports MMC / RSMMC / SD / Mini SD / SDHC / SDXC / MS / MS Pro / MS Duo Internal Storage 500GB 5400RPM HDD
  • Cache 8MB
  • WiFi AC
https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/kogan-atlas-x14fhd-laptop-with-4gb-ram-upgrade/

So this will be my work station for the next 3 years hopefully. I look forward to the awesome processor upgrade (from atom 2 core to pentium 4 core), ram (from 2 to 4), and 2k display (from 1k), usb3.


[ check out my next post http://robotsaregodless.blogspot.com.au/2015/06/kogan-atlas-x14fhd-laptop-teardown-and.html ]

WIFI spec: dual band, 1x1, Wi-Fi up to 433 Mbps [ intel wiki ]

Dual monitor test: HDMI connected to 4K TV operates at 2K max. In expanded desktop mode, mouse movement lags on the TV. In mirror mode, the mouse still lags but only on the TV. Did not test video playback. So this will certainly not be a 4K workstation.






MY WORKSTATION HISTORY
Kogan Atlas laptop [w Sandisk 120GB SSD]
Acer Aspire One AAO D270 netbook laptop [w Corsair 32GB SSD]
Asus Eee PC 1015PX netbook laptop [w Corsair 32GB SSD]
Acer Aspire One AAO 543h netbook laptop [w Corsair 32GB SSD]
Asus eee pc 701 netbook laptop
Acer Aspire laptop
OEM laptop
OEM desktops

Comments

Pipapos said…
Thanks for this review mate. I'm thinking in purchasing this laptop and put Ubuntu on it, just as you did. Did you ended up fixing all the problems with Ubuntu? I'm surprised there's not much information around about Linux and this particular machine, I think kogan may be selling heaps of them with this price. Anyway thanks for the post.
Bob Newman said…
Hey Pipapos. The wonky wifi is a known issue on ubuntu forums to do with an intel driver that effects a lot of people, hopefully will get fixed -- google " ubuntu Intel AC3160 ". Otherwise between workarounds like usb wifi and rebooting, I get things done. For me, buying this laptop was one of my best decisions, so I stand by that.
Jakk said…
I have just purchased one of these with the extra 4GB. Very disappointing! If it goes to sleep or even if you close the lid - it doesn't start up again for hours. Just totally blank screen and no lights. Then several hours later, it just turns on readily and works well when it IS on....any ideas! I have been told by Kogan that I can send it back but if they find no problems, I am up for a cost. When it is working, it is great. It just doesn't work when you put it to sleep or close it - and who has a laptop open ALL the time?
I just wanted it as a travel commodity but this renders it useless.....
Tom said…
Thank you very much, excellent review. Will now try to get one when/if Kogan restock. Maybe "next Tuesday when I am rich", I'll try the big brother, the Atlas Pro!